Monday, December 8, 2008

Outliers -- Looking at Why Some People Are Successful

Gladwell is an absolute pleasure to read. He takes a seemingly simple notion, and then he flips it on its head.



This book has a lot of good stuff for educators to ponder. I don't know that we'll ever have a chance to read it as a book club selection, but if you have the chance, I highly recommend that you read it. I read all 285 pages in one day, and I just didn't want to put it down.



For more info, be sure to check out the author's web site: http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/index.html

2 comments:

Mike said...

I think his comment about "magic years" to be born is interesting. He is right. My grandpa, for example, was born right when cars were beginning. He became a hugely successful auto mechanic as a result. I think my daughters are born in a "magic year" for figuring out Internet 2.0 and all its applications when they get older. I am a Gen X'er. Probably no magic year for me!

Bret R. Fuller said...

I was born in 1973, so I grew up with computers. But in some ways, I feel I was born about 5-10 years too early to be born at the "right" time for the Internet. That said, I was on bbs's (the thing before the Internet) as early as 1986...