Monday, October 20, 2008

"Refusing" to Teach

What would happen if you went into the class and didn't stand up in front of the class? What if you just took a seat with the students?

Chapter 7 is a tricky one; I've sometimes assigned students to take lead in Chapter discussions, for example. And, I've sometimes assigned small groups to do class presentations. But those of you that have done those and similiar activities have probably experienced the same sorts of problems and issues that I have.

Is it simply because we didn't give enough time to getting students used to the role? Did we resume our "instructor role" too soon?

I can only imagine how awkward it would be to do what Finkel suggests in this chapter. Then again, I can also imagine that it's crazy enough that it just might work.

Thoughts?

No comments: