Thursday, October 16, 2008

Teaching Through Writing

The idea that instructors teach through their own writing (page 70) is a natural for those of us that teach online; but even in face-to-face teaching, our writing serves multiple purposes.

Instead of lecturing to your students, why not give your students the written lecture the class before? That way, your students could have a chance to read it ahead of time, and you could spend the class period discussing the lecture.

One thing Finkel did that I'm not sure I agree with: writing long letters to your students (page 74). Do any of you do this? I'm not convinced that students read long letters. When I comment on students' work, I generally cut myself off after 3 sentences, at most. What do you think? Do students appreciate long letters?

No comments: